Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions for TruProfen®. Don’t see the answer you are looking for? Contact Us today and we are happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Does TruProfen® (carprofen) come in another form?
- How do I know if my dog might have osteoarthritis?
- What kind of results can I expect when my dog is on TruProfen® (carprofen)?
- Besides alleviating symptoms of osteoarthritis, what else does TruProfen® (carprofen) treat?
- What are some things I might discuss with my veterinarian before giving TruProfen® (carprofen)?
- What do I do if my dog eats more than the prescribed amount of TruProfen® (carprofen)?
- What else should I know about TruProfen® (carprofen)?
Does TruProfen® (carprofen) come in another form?
TruProfen® currently only comes as a Flavored Tablet.
How do I know if my dog might have osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a painful condition caused by “wear and tear” of cartilage and other parts of the joints that may result in the following changes or signs in your dog:
- Limping or lameness
- Decreased activity or exercise (reluctance to stand, climb stairs, jump or run, or difficulty in performing these activities)
- Stiffness or decreased movement of joints
If you believe your dog has osteoarthritis, please visit your veterinarian.
What kind of results can I expect when my dog is on TruProfen® (carprofen)?
While TruProfen® (carprofen) is not a cure for osteoarthritis (OA), it can relieve the pain and inflammation of OA and improve your dog’s mobility. Response varies from dog to dog but can be quite dramatic. In most dogs improvement can be seen in a matter of days. If TruProfen® (carprofen) is discontinued or not given as directed, your dog’s pain and inflammation may recur.
Besides alleviating symptoms of osteoarthritis, what else does TruProfen® (carprofen) treat?
Surgical pain can also be alleviated by giving your pet TruProfen® (carprofen). For surgeries such as spays, ear procedures, or orthopedic repairs, your veterinarian may administer TruProfen® (carprofen) before the procedure and recommend that your dog be treated for several days after going home.
What are some things I might discuss with my veterinarian before giving TruProfen® (carprofen)?
1. Symptoms and Overall Treatment Plan
- Signs of OA you have observed (ie. limping, stiffness)
- Importance of weight control and exercise to manage OA
- Possible testing before TruProfen® is prescribed
- Frequency of veterinarian examinations
- Risks and benefits of using TruProfen®
2. Pet Medical History – Be sure to tell your veterinarian if your pet has experienced or is experiencing any of the following:
- Side effects from Carprofen, the main ingredient of TruProfen®, or other NSAIDs, such as Aspirin
- Digestive upset (vomiting and/or diarrhea)
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Bleeding disorder (ie. Von Willebrand’s disease)
- Additional medical problems or allergies (current and past)
- Medications: Report ALL that you are giving or plan to give your dog, including non-prescription medications
3. You will also need to tell your veterinarian if your dog is pregnant, nursing, or if you plan to breed your pet.
What do I do if my dog eats more than the prescribed amount of TruProfen® (carprofen)?
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog eats more than the prescribed amount of TruProfen® (carprofen).
What else should I know about TruProfen® (carprofen)?
If you have any questions or concerns about Truprofen (carprofen), osteoarthritis, or post-operative pain, talk to your veterinarian.
As with all prescribed medicines, TruProfen® (carprofen) should only be given to the dog for which it was prescribed. Treatment is prescribed specifically for your dog’s condition.
It is important to periodically discuss your dog’s response to TruProfen® (carprofen) at regular check-ups. Your veterinarian will best determine if your dog is responding as expected and should continue treatments.
Why Choose TruProfen®?
Watch Our Video
As part of our commitment to provide vet-recommended products for your pet, we source quality ingredients. This allows us to confidently stand behind each of our products.