VETGUARD® PLUS for Dogs
There are dozens of flea and tick products to choose from, but for complete, proven flea and tick protection, choose VetGuard® Plus for Dogs. Developed by VetIQ®, VetGuard® Plus for Dogs protect your pet at a fraction of the cost.
FLEA & TICK 101
Fleas and ticks can be a problem throughout most of the United States. For warmer areas of the country, fleas and ticks can pose more of a year-round problem for dogs. For areas with cold winters, dogs may have a few months of respite each year.
Flea and tick populations thrive in warm, humid environments, causing serious health concerns for you and your pets. An unseasonably warm winter can create an explosion of fleas and ticks in your backyard and surrounding area. (See our seasonal charts to see how long the flea and tick season typically is where you live.)
The most common flea species affecting dogs in the U.S. is Ctenocephalides felis, or the cat flea. Fleas can transmit tapeworms and cause flea allergy dermatitis, the most common skin disease affecting dogs. If not treated, your pet may even develop anemia, so it is important to protect your pet.
Because of warmer winters, urban area expansion, and other environmental factors, ticks that were once more commonly found in the southern part of the country have begun to migrate north into areas where they may not have been a problem before. Using tick prevention medications, vaccinations, and having your pets screened for various tick-borne diseases is essential. Your veterinarian can provide the best advice as to which diseases are more prevalent in your area.
WHY SHOULD I TREAT MY PET FOR FLEAS AND TICKS?
Fleas can transmit tapeworms and allergy dermatitis, an allergic skin disease common in dogs. Some animals are allergic to flea saliva which can cause your pet to constantly scratch and even cause self-mutilation. Left unprotected, your pet can develop anemia from fleas so it is important to treat your pet monthly with VetGuard® Plus for Dogs. (Do not use VetGuard® Plus for Dogs on animals other than dogs).
Ticks can be found anywhere in the United States and are known to spread Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, tularemia and canine tick paralysis. Ticks can be found year round, but are most active in the spring through fall. They thrive in warm, humid areas and are most prevalent in the spring when temperatures rise. Wet and mild winters tend to cause higher infestations.
CHECKING YOUR DOG FOR FLEAS:
- Using a fine-toothed metal flea comb, run the comb along your pet’s back or stomach, making sure to come in contact with your pet’s skin.
- Pull out any fleas and drown them immediately in a bowl of soapy water.
- Brush or rub your pet’s coat while he is standing on a white sheet or towel. Watch the sheet or towel for any small, black specks that might be fleas or “flea dirt” (actually flea feces). Flea dirt is generally black and comma-shaped. When moistened and rubbed lightly, flea dirt will leave a telltale brownish-red stain.
- If you have not found any trace of fleas, but your pet continues to scratch, you might want to have your veterinarian check your pet.
CHECKING YOUR DOG FOR TICKS:
Ticks like to attach close to the animal’s head, neck or stomach. They can be as small as a pinhead and very hard to see.
- Begin at the head of your pet. Check the whisker area and around the snout. Look in and around the ears.
- Also examine the stomach, back and paws, including the tail and between the toes.
- Gently comb the hair, but be careful if you encounter a snag as it may be a tick. Do not pull the tick out with the comb as it can leave pieces behind.
- Apply VetGuard® Plus for Dogs monthly to kill and repel ticks.
Triple Action Formula:
- Kills adult fleas and ticks. Has demonstrated greater than 92% control of fleas within one day of application. Kills lice and mites for up to 4 weeks.
- Prevents eggs and larvae from becoming adults. Kills Flea Eggs and Larvae for up to 4 months.
- Repels new pests from coming in contact with your dog.
VetGuard® Plus for Dogs provides two active ingredients that work together to keep pesky invaders off and away from your dog.
Permethrin – a powerful, fast-acting insecticide that kills and repels adult fleas, lice, ticks, and other invaders for up to four weeks with just one application.
And, Pyriproxyfen (Nylar) – an insect growth regulator that targets and destroys flea larvae, keeping future generations off your dog.
VetGuard® Plus for Dogs is an affordable solution that protects your pet for just a fraction of the cost of brands such as Bayer K9 Advantix and Frontline Plus. VetGuard® Plus for Dogs is made in America and can be used for dogs over 12 weeks of age.
As with all flea and tick solutions, VetGuard® Plus for Dogs should be used as part of a program aimed at reducing flea populations in the pet’s environment (bedding, carpets, kennel, and yards). Consult your veterinarian, entomologist, or retailer for program recommendations.
Now flea and tick control can be a more comfortable experience for you and your pet. So, protect your pet from fleas, ticks and other invaders the smart and affordable way. Try VetGuard® Plus for Dogs today!
* Based upon studies on file.
** While the EPA has approved our claim that VetGuard® Plus for Dogs kills and repels mites, due to the nature of a mite infestation, you should consult your veterinarian for suggestions for a complete program to eliminate them.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR PET HAS FLEAS AND/OR TICKS:
- Treat your pet regularly with VetGuard® Plus for Dogs to kill existing fleas and ticks for up to 4 weeks. VetGuard® Plus for Dogs will also prevent flea eggs from developing into adults for up to 4 months.
- Wash your pet’s bedding in hot water or replace it. You may want to treat your home by vacuuming carpets and upholstery (throw away bag or clean cup with soap and water), but with regular use of VetGuard® Plus for Dogs, you should not have flea infestations in your home.
- Treat your yard by cutting down tall brush and grass near the house or dog run to reduce exposure to fleas and ticks.
- Permethrin – 45.0%
- Pyriproxyfen (Nylar®) – 5.0%
- Other Ingredients – 50.0%
Why Choose VetGuard® Plus for Dogs?
Watch Our Video
As part of our commitment in providing vet recommended products for your pet, we source ingredients and manufacture VetIQ® products right here in America. This allows us to confidently stand behind the quality of each product.
- Quality - Same quality of products veterinarians recommend
- Effectiveness - Ingredients proven effective
- Made in USA - Ingredients sourced and products manufactured in America